Windsong Radiology Group is the leader in breast MRI in Western New York with the most advanced scanners and dedicated breast coils at both our Williamsville and Hamburg offices. Breast MRI is an additional tool, which can offer numerous advantages for diagnosing breast cancer. Windsong was also the first imaging center in Western New York to receive the ACR accreditation for breast MRI.
Breast MRI Advantages
- Highly sensitive and specific test to detect and characterize breast cancer
- Further evaluation if there are indeterminent findings in mammogram or ultrasound
- Provides evaluation for axillary lymph nodes and anterior chest wall structures
- The most sensitive test to evaluate for tumor response to chemotherapy, or to evaluate for post surgical tumor recurrence
- Excellent evaluation for breasts with dense tissue or high risk patients
- Evaluate for silicone implant integrity.
Pre-Surgical Breast MRI
Breast MRI has become a routine pre-surgical imaging evaluation for patients who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer. In many instances, additional tumor(s) can be found on the other breast or also within the same breast at a different location that were not visualized by mammography. An additional biopsy may be performed, which may modify the surgical plan if additional tumor(s) are detected.
MRI for High Risk Patients
Women who have a high risk for breast cancer may be appropriate candidates for breast MRI. Physicians may consider breast MRI evaluation for those who have strong family history, or personal history of breast cancer, or a first degree relative with certain genetic mutations or syndromes. An insurance Pre-authorization that is generated from your doctor is necessary for a breast MRI.
Breast Core Biopsy
The Janet H. Sung Women’s Imaging Suites in Williamsville and Hamburg offer three different methods for breast biopsy. Biopsies are the only definitive way to confirm if breast tissue is benign or cancerous. Needle biopsy is a safe, minimally invasive procedure used to get a sample from an abnormal breast lesion. Small amounts of breast tissue are removed through a needle, and the tissue is studied under a microscope by a pathologist, who will then provide a diagnosis. Depending on how the area of concern is best visualized, Windsong Radiology Group can offer our expertise with stereotactic breast biopsy, ultrasound guided biopsy, or MRI-guided breast biopsy.
Some of the advantages to outpatient breast biopsy at Windsong Radiology Group include:
- No scars which can cause shadows on future mammography films. (Minimal invasive, no significant skin scar)
- Less fear, anxiety and breast deformity vs. surgical breast biopsy.
- Faster procedure (Office procedure) without the need for hospitalization.
- Cost savings vs. surgical breast biopsy.
- Confidence in knowing that our radiologists and technologists have vast experience and specialty training for these procedures.
Regardless of the method utilized, the preparation remains the same. Windsong Radiology Group radiologists and team members are experienced, educated and skilled in performing all types of breast biopsy. They are dedicated to making the experience as calming as possible. An educational area is available for any patient contemplating a breast core biopsy.
Additional Diagnostic Services
- Breast Cyst Aspiration
- Needle Localization